I’m both a social science researcher, programmer, and practitioner of data services. I’m a competent data scientist, because I’m skeptical of data. I know what can and cannot be said.
- A true researcher seeks the truth, not the result
- Economic Researcher Background: Statistics, predictive analytics, machine learning, and data reporting
- Design scientific/casual studies and create proxy variables if data is not availale
- Program Evaluation
- Design Reports for respective audience
- Reports should be proactive and promote actionable results
- I’m both a designer and the programmer, whereas my imagination is the limit
Programmer Skills/ Principles:
- Technical Language Competency: R, Matlab, Stata, Python, T-SQL language (best), Microsoft Access
- Values: efficiency, scalability, storage, execution, automation, and quality assurance (QA)
- Strong working back-end knowledge with Student Information System (SIS)
- Writing complex algorithms/functions for data transformations and reporting
- Streamline the databases for easy access and query execution
Work-related Projects at South Washington County Schools
- Vision Card: Primary aggregate accountability tool that utilize the growth measures and test scores primarily based on Minnesota Department Education (MDE) standards and show inequity gaps.
- Changed from static to dynamic document; follow the same cohorts
- Expanded comprehensive metrics w/ expansion to high schools
- Expanded demographics that include transfer students, former ESL students
- Introduced achievement gaps changes
- Create interactive report that is accessed electronically and updated daily
- User-friendly (fit in one page) and customization for respective school
- D-F-I Report (i.e. Early Intervention Report) : The DFI report is a secondary school (i.e. middle and high school) report that displayed students in respective classes whom are danger of failing in real-time. An interactive sub-report provided assignment grades and missing assignments. This report explicitly change the “school culture” for several schools.
- It is effectively an early warning system. For example, within two months of the semester, school administrators and counselors can do an intervention to support students before failing the course. Studies have shown failing classes during 9th grade is the greatest predictor on graduating on time
- Created/ administered/ programmed all customization reporting.
- Considerable manipulation at the backend to prepare the report, as the “Grades” table are very large. The datapull and execution was optimized.
- This report was created via guerilla method i.e. my own initiative. Normally, a report like this, would require approval from higher-ups, whom tend to be resistant to change by default. Several factors include administrators do not favor additional accountability metrics and employees are hesitant to implement changes that require more from them (often resources are already stressed thin) and they are exhausted from innovation. My strategy was to create the
- A report like this would require
- Benchment Assessment System (BAS) capture system/reporting: BAS was the primary early literary assessment and diagnostic tool administered preK to third grade
- Created/ administered/ Programmed all reporting
- Numerous conditional formatting to respective student/ audience
- Added Growth Measures and expected growth measures
- Customized reports for diverse audience (teachers, reading specialists etc.)
- Growth Trajectory Map: An individualized display of current and past growth projections for individual student test scores.
- Answer the question: How many years of “high growth” is necessary for a student to be proficient?
- Customized SQL report that displays that shows student
- Compares actual results respect to past projections in one chart